Monday 17 September 2012

Laksa

Cruising the food blogs I visit on a daily basis, I came across a recipe for a Malaysian curry soup I had never tried before. My family and I are Malaysian cuisine enthusiasts, so when I saw the words spicy, coconut and curry together, I knew I had to try it. Laksa is a coconut based curry soup. The main ingredients for most versions of curry laksa include tofu puffs, shrimp, cockles and is commonly served with a spoonful of sambal chilli paste. I cheated and bought the curry paste from a local asian grocery store but everything else was fresh! 

Curry Laksa

Ingredients

1 packet of Curry Laksa Paste
1 can of light coconut milk
shrimpies
tofu
greens ( spinach, bok choy or whatever you like, I also used enoki mushrooms this time to add more veg )
hard boiled eggies

rice noodles

To garnish:
green onion
bean sprouts

Directions

1. In a big pot, bring 1000 ml water to boil. Add in the paste, and coconut milk on medium heat for 5 minutes. By this time you can see some oil floating on the top of the broth. Remove some of it.
2. Add in the greens, prawns and tofu (I cooked the shrimp and tofu slightly before adding). Let the soup simmer for another 2 minutes until heated through. Stir and bring it up to a slow boil and turn off the heat. 
4. To serve
 put a handful of noodles at the bottom of a bowl and ladle in your broth mixture, top it with bean sprouts, green onion and egg to garnish. Slurp it up!

No comments:

Post a Comment