Wednesday 1 August 2012

Sumo Size Sunomono!

Alliteration at its best.
Have you ever gone out for Japanese, and ordered an ebi sunomono, just cuz it's a darn refreshing way to start a meal? But then when you receive your so called palate cleanser, it has a few shreds of carrot, single slice of cucumber and one tiny baby shrimp if you're lucky.  Too many times have I been disappointed by the sunomono gods, so I took it into my own hands and went for a trip down to my local asian supermarket! The bowl I used for my homemade sunomono is the same one I use for ramen, curries and pastas to give you an idea, hence the sumo.

glass noodles ( I used green bean and pea based ones that were tassssttttyyyyy )
dried wakame ( remember to soak in warm water first and drain before putting into the salad )
Salad:
cucumber
baby shrimpies
lemon

Vinaigrette:
rice wine vinegar
soy sauce
sugar
few drops of sesame oil

Cook glass noodles for 5 minutes or until desired tenderness is reached, then drain and rinse under cold water and set aside.  Mix vinaigrette ingredients all together until sugar is disolved.  I added a bit of water to mine as I wanted to get the sting of the vinegar out.  Combine all ingredients in a bowl ( size to your liking, SUMO! ) and put in fridge for flavours to combine and chill for 15 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment